Situated at the Top of Highgate Hill in North London, this world famous 37 acre cemetery was built in 1839. It was originaly one of a hoop of 7 private burial grounds built when London expanded and the old "town burial grounds" could no longer cope.
It is divided into the Western (original) Cemetery and the Eastern (built 1854) separated by Swains Lane. Originally there was a tunnel beneath Swains Lane where, after a funeral, a coffin could be lowered from the Anglican Chapel on the West side for burial on the East.
There are about 167,000 people buried in the Cemetery in 52,000 graves. The Western Cemetery contains several Grade II listed buildings. Whilst it's most famous occupant is probably Karl Marx a number of prominent Victorians are also buried there (Funerals still take place and recent internments include Sir Ralph Richardson, Sir Micheal Redgrave, Patrick Wymark and the cabaret artiste "Hutch" as well as Philip Harben the original TV chef, Dr. Y.D. Dadoo (First Chairman of the African National Congress) and Professor Jacob Bronowski, (scientist and TV personality).